Risk management at Advantus is embedded throughout every step of our process. It is not a step in the process. It starts with our culture and heritage and is implemented in every conversation and decision—in the belief that we can’t know too much about a security before we invest in it.
We are in the business of understanding investment risks. We try to dig out the hidden risks in the research phase, decide if the pricing of that risk is appropriate and whether it matches the risk tolerance of a particular client. When building a portfolio, we connect all the individual security risk elements into an investment portfolio and measure the cumulative risk. Through active management of portfolio holdings and relative value decisions, we strive to maximize risk-adjusted returns.
Risks are assessed by multiple resources and managed at every level of the investment process.
- Where do we see value?
- Where can we take risks and be rewarded?
- Where can we avoid or mitigate risks?
Multiple resources assess risks.
- Teamwork of sector specialist analysts and portfolio managers with strategically diverse backgrounds
- Proprietary templates—evaluate company and key credit drivers/risks
- Barclays risk models—identify global risks
- Client guidelines—Advantus risk management tool
Risk is managed throughout the process.